Sunday, January 16, 2011

Blues piano !

yup...... I got out the old Casio keyboard I got in Japan in 98. Looked at a few youtube videos on boogie woogie piano and C minor pentatonic scale, and I'm staring to mess around with blues piano. I think it will be a nice addition to playing guitar - and I can use my old piano knowledge and muscle memory. I'm thinking that I can record a piano bass line with the keyboard on the apple garageband and then solo over it with the Gibson.

Makes me wonder about the combination of piano and guitar. Wouldn't that make a good duo? but I don't think I've seen that... at all. both instruments can do rhythm and lead pretty well. A jazz trio can be piano, bass, and drums. Jazz guitar works with a jazz band of various sizes. But just piano and guitar. Does anyone do that much? I can see them exchanging riffs and comping each other. It would sound great!

Well, I've got plenty of work to do. My boogie woogie lines are pretty slow, and my improvs on the keyboard are rudimentary at best. I need to see some more video lessons and pick up some common riffs.

Anyone else out there play guitar and piano? C'mon, people -- put something together on garage band and post it on youtube! blues, jazz, whatever.

No comments: