Monday, January 5, 2009

the Trinity - good thinking or not?

Even if the trinity is an intellectual hack, I want to know how it was devised and what arguments are used to justify it. My friend Quixote is working on this issue too. I don't want to dismiss it lightly -- I want to dismiss it after careful thought! Not that I've pre-judged the situation, but it's well known that the Trinity concept depends on the sense of a "mystery beyond understanding" to work. In other words, it doesn't make sense, but we're supposed to ignore that, and to in fact embrace that as evidence to justify the concept. Not likely!

Still, when looking at religion as a social activity, the details of theology are not so important. What's more important are the organized meetings (masses, services, etc.) and the activities therein, and how they affect people. Kind of the "if it feels good, do it!" approach.

No comments: