Wednesday, October 26, 2011

a little of both

so I'm thinking of pursuing two tracks at once.  I'd like to stick with my delta blues lessons for this semester, and next semester.  I still like to play them, and fingerstyle playing is valuable.  For now I'll start studying some jazz theory on my own, and improvise at home starting with the major and minor scales (ionian and aeolian).  I'll teach myself some more scales, too.  I think that if I learn a scale, even in only one pattern that covers part of the fretboard, that will be enough to get started.  I don't need to know a scale for the whole fretboard to move forward.

I'm back to thinking of the backing track as the basis for my playing.  I'm not an incredible talent, so a little help from a track makes sense.  Me soloing over tracks, both jazz and blues, will create a sound that is achievable and sounds good.  plus i'll throw in a little delta blues instrumentals!

This is the best site I've found for self teaching:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/

No comments: