Saturday, November 20, 2010

a-ha moment with I IV V

so it hit me today after watching a video on using 6th and 9th chords in the blues. the I IV V form works with any sorts of chords with that relationship. 7ths, major chords, 6ths, 9ths, etc. It's the relationship between the three, the I IV V thing that makes it the blues. The chords themselves can be of any (I guess) form. So now I see how to use 9th chords that we studied in my lesson.

the youtube lesson was a good one; here it is:


and here's my own 12 bar in A6:


2 comments:

Quixote said...

Well, yes, except that I'd add that a simple I IV V progression without either a major 6 or a dominant 7th will not by itself sound bluesy.

The dominant 9's 11's and 13's are all defined as extensions of the dominant 7th. When playing these on the guitar in the context of blues, it's worthwhile to know where the dominant 7th is and to make sure it's being fingered. You can live without the 5th.

Bob McKo said...

yeah, i found that not all chord forms work in a I IV V progression. I do like the 6ths I was using. I just barred the higher four strings with my finger.