Tuesday, November 27, 2012

horizontal and vertical work on the guitar

so, working with octaves got me to look at the neck horizontally.  I've been doing the beatles melodies with octaves running up and down the strings, so I have fewer times to jump strings.  this lay out is good at showing the scale as steps and half steps.  a different way of looking at the fretboard, as opposed to the vertical, across the strings, patterns of blues boxes and scales. 

so now i'm looking at finding patterns, such as triads, along the fretboard, and moving them up and down according to the major scale.  This really opens up the whole neck.  for example, in C, I do the 1-3-5 triad on the low E and A strings.  this pattern I then move up and down the neck from C on the low E string to B, A, G, and up to D, E, etc. 

I will look for more patterns and arpeggios to move up and down the fretboard in the major scale, and also in the mixolydian scale for a more jazzy sound.  I will also print out some blank neckboard diagrams and make some charts as references. 

No comments: