Thursday, February 3, 2011

why I'm a strat rat again

surprising to me, but I've really gotten to like my vg strat. OK, so here's why I play it more often than my Gibson:
  1. It's tough. The 339 is a beautiful instrument, and has a better tone than my strat. But it's a little bit delicate! I can't casually put it down on the couch or bed and run off to do something and then come back. It has a few minor dings on the side from me bumping into furniture. The strat is built like a tank. I just feel more comfortable playing around the house with it.
  2. 9 gauge strings. I like the feel of 9's on the strat. the 339 has standard 10's, which I also like, but for string bending 9's are just great. To put 9's on the 339 would take a trip to the tech guy for a new set up, and I don't wanna do that.
  3. maple fretboard. crazy, 'cause I never thought much of maple boards before, but I've come to really like it. Visually it makes the strings very easy to see.
OK, here's what makes the 339 a better guitar:
  1. Tone. It sounds so amazing. Creamy, woody, with depth. It sounds like I think an electric guitar, semi-hollow, should sound like. Something like an electrified acoustic with more sustain and a rich creamy tone. And really, we're trying to make music here. These guitars are made to make beautiful sounds. Gibby wins the tone award.
  2. Ease of playing. The Gibson scale length is just easier and more comfortable to play with. The fender 25.5 is something to be dealt with, but I don't find it the most comfortable. Whatever I play on the strat is easier on my hands when I switch to the 339.
  3. Style. I like how the 339 looks. Classic semi-hollow, but a little smaller -- best of both worlds. The strat has a cool 50's retro-futuristic look, but it's also very very common. Also, my strat is black with a white pickguard and a maple neck. Not a fan of black guitars. the 339 is beautiful antique red.
So there we go. 3 points for each. I still play the Gibson almost every day, and I like to record with it. but I must admit most of my guitar hours are with the Fender. comments, anyone?

No comments: