Tuesday, May 11, 2010

summer guitar plans

Tom, my music teacher, set out some things for me to do this summer. Primarily he wants me to practice moving between major and minor pentatonic when improvising. Specifically he wants me to, for example, play a minor riff in first position and then play a major riff in the major first position, right in the same part of the fretboard. I've been working on it and it certainly opens up a lot of interesting phrases and riffs. The sound is more full and complicated than just minor pentatonic riffs. I still have to work on my ear to get something that sounds good; the move from minor to major sounds a little odd.

after working on first position, the plan is then for second position major and minor riffing. Then third, fourth, and fifth position major-minor riffing.

By the end of summer I hope to be comfortable in major-minor riffing anywhere on the fretboard. And to sound halfway decent, too!

No comments: