Monday, January 18, 2010

one idea of blues tones

here's something from the Gibson forum discussing the es 339 and blues tone:

" I may be a one trick blues pony, but a good classic blues sound requires a good axe and amp (reverb, trem & speaker(s) to get the SOUL! ES-339 has that tone! Listen to Big Jack Johnson, Larry Garner, Eugene Hideaway Bridges, etc. to get the idea. All clean, no gain, and sustain. Solid bass, intense mids, and sweet highs. Alnico speakers with later breakup help. Soul blues is fat tone like Gospel."

so, like I'm thinking... no gain, but use of reverb instead. this guy from the forum says he is an old chicago blues player since the 60s.

my current search, since I've found my guitar, the 339, is the search for a good blues tone that doesn't set my ears ringing.

No comments: