Tuesday, December 3, 2013

the "I got it" moment with jazz guitar

so this morning I had my Duh! moment.  the I Get It moment.  So nice when it happens.  It's simple, really.  The 7 modes are major, minor, minor, major, major, minor, diminished.  Just like the pattern for the diatonic scale chords.  So for any chord in a song, you can play the scale for it.  So, for the I chord, play Ionian.  For the V chord, Mixolydian.  For the II chord, Dorian.  Ah, not so complicated!  Well, there may be some more complications, but this is the basic pattern of the idea.  This makes the idea of jazz improvising so much clearer now.  What I need to do is make some notes for the scales for each type of chord, and use these to guide my improvs on a II V I, for example.  I don't even have to memorize -- I can have the notes in front of me.  Gonna try it out during Xmas break.  Happy jazz playing!

No comments: