Sunday, June 30, 2013

solo jazz guitar, walking bass, Joe Pass

So I'm setting my sights on Joe Pass style walking bass solo jazz guitar.  It seems the best form for solo jazz guitar, and the basics aren't too hard to grasp.  I have three pieces to work on.  One is the basic II V I changes with chromatic bass lines around the tonic.  Another is with chords from Autumn Leaves.  A third is a piece from the Mel Bay book "Teach Yourself Jazz Guitar."  All of them are using chromatic bass lines around the tonic of each chord.  It's a good basic way to start.  I'm looking at some instructional videos on YouTube, reading the Jazz Guitar Online site, and improvising.  Later I'll look for a book on the technique.  This feels like the way I can approach jazz guitar.  The theory will come later, while I work on some pieces.