Saturday, March 12, 2011

puttin' a few things together

so this weekend a few elements came together. I figured out the placement for a Robert Johnson like chromatic seventh chord intro, the one on the top 3 strings GBE in the shape of D7 that goes from high to low 3 frets. I found where to start and end in relation to first position minor pentatonic so I can use it in any key. I also located a few other acoustic blues riff elements in terms of minor pent position so I can use them in any key. Finally, I started adding some notes outside the minor pent boxes and I'm getting an ear for which work and which don't. My guitar teacher, Tom, is right that blues sound better with added notes in the scale.

So my goal is approaching: to make myself a solo instrumental blues guitar player. I'm not an acoustic blues player -- I don't know that fancy fingerstyle picking. I use barre chords and quick riffs to play. I'm trying to take all the songs I know and put them in this style so that I have a set list of pieces to play.

Some of the pieces I'm transforming:
You Shook Me, the Willie Dixon/Led Zeppelin thing I played at a recital;
the Lake of Fire piece (meat puppets/Nirvana/Tom) I played at the last recital
a blues piece in E I'm developing
another one in A I'm working on
an exercise in my Blues book I wanna transform, in B flat

and other improv stuff I do. I want something in B also. E, G, A, and B, and B flat -- these keys, both minor, major, and mixed pent.

I also got out the epiphone dot for this weekend. I like to play it every now and then. I think in the summer it will be a great backyard patio guitar -- Fendy and Gibby stay inside!

No comments: